This was quite the adventurous weekend! On Thursday Trever and I ventured out in Shepherds Bush to a bar called the Walkabout. It was described to me as a dive bar where a bunch of Australians get drunk, dance around, and hit on each other. I thought it would be exactly my scene. Boy was I right. Within about 3 minutes of being there, Trever and I meet lovely Australian girls that we hang out with all night and dance scream "ALL MY SINGLE LADIES, ALL MY SINGLE LADIES" and "IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME!!". It was awesome. We also met a few gentlemen from Yorkshire. Trever asked them if they ate Yorkshire pudding and I asked them if they lived on a farm. They thought we were very entertaining and bought us drinks which was lovely. By the end of the night the other Australians in the bar got up the nerve to ask Trever and I why we were wearing slippers (aka Uggs) in the bar. We made a note never to wear Uggs to an Australian bar again.
Friday night I came home after work, got Trever, and we headed out to meet Chris, Allison and Camille at a bar in Trafalger Square. The music was so-so but they had whiskey beer which was a new concept for me. Basically they take the water that they make the whiskey with and use that to make the beer. Or something. Anyway, it was fun and we met some new friends to join our bookclub so that was nice. Trever and I headed over to Mickey D's for a late night burger and then headed home around midnight because we had a VERY big weekend ahead of us.
Saturday Trever and I woke up and headed to Notting Hill. It was a lot of fun but very crowded and it was snowing. After the day there we headed home and got changed to head to the ICE BAR. It is exactly as it sounds. You go there, put on a parka and head in for your 40 minute session. The bar is completely made of ice, as are the glasses you drink out of. Its absolutely freezing, and Trever and I decided that Eskimos really can't be that warm in their igloos, but it was a lot of fun. Then it was off to Ben's birthday celebration. After getting lost for about 20 minutes in single digit (Fahrenheit) weather, we made it to the pub for a few drinks. Trever and I realized the pubs in London NEVER get warm enough to take off your coats, and after a day in the snow and the Ice Bar we wanted to be warm, so we headed back to my place for pizza and beer.
Sunday we headed off to Greenwich. Its east of London and a lovely little town where they have several markets, a house built for the Queen in the 1800s or something, the naval school, and Greenwich Mean Time. It reminded me a lot of Annapolis. We hit all the sights, strattled the time line, hit the markets and finally around 3 settled into a pub for some warmth. We started chatting to a lovely old man about visas and passports, etc. He told us about all his travels around the world, his time living in Westchester county, Kuwait, etc. After about an hour someone walks by the he says hi to. Its this guy Tim, who sits down and joins our conversation. He is 42, recently divorced, and quite smitten with Trever. He is a local and asks if we want to walk around with him, he can show us some cool views. I ponder for a second thinking whether or not this is a good idea. I decide a) we aren't getting in a car, b) there are two of us so we outnumber him c) he seems like a nice guy and d) I've gotten myself into and out of bigger messes than this could turn out to be so its probably fine. We walk around and he does show us some really cool views, the music school in the college that's there, the laser that points in the sky from the GMT, etc. We go into another pub for another drink. He reveals that he just bought a house down on the coast, he owns a language school, and he "doesn't really need to work". So we finish our pints, walk along the water and end at another bar where we meet up with his friend who is about 45 and looks like the drummer from the muppet show if he was a tall white man. Well "Animal" aka Gary reveals that our tour guide is a DUKE! Who knows if this is actually true but it was a good story so Trever and I stuck around. We all went out for Indian food which was awesome!! It was my first experience with Indian since Neha's sister Sweta's wedding. I felt much more ambitious this time around and tried a variety of different things and loved it all! So after dinner and a quick game of pool Trever decided that since it was 10:00 on a school night it was time for us to hit the road. We bid adeau to our duke and Animal and headed on the DLR and Tube back to good old SheBu. I have to say that it was much more than I expected of Greenwich, but it turned out to be an awesome time!
Tonight Trever and I are going to get all classed up and go out to a nice dinner and then I have to say good-bye to her tomorrow :( It was sooo much fun having her here, but now its time to get back to the normal routine. The good thing is now I know exactly what to do with my next set of visitors, Mike and Liz!
3 comments:
WOW, that's even more exciting than the weekend we had back on Forest Lane, (hard to believe, huh). Whiskey-beer?? Is that something the world needed?
Ahh, the old "suspicious package" routine. I don't even have to make the requisite joke.
You sound bored in London. You should probably move home.
PS: Go Eagles!
If you liked Walkabout you hould try The Redback ... if you walk down the high road you're there. It's more of a dive bar but they get good live bands in.
Post a Comment