It started snowing late last night. We were supposed to get like 4 inches, but when I woke up this morning, the streets were clear and there was a dusting on the sidewalks. I guess outside London they got more because my boss couldn't get the train into London. Lame.
Anyway, now its been snowing all day. There is still no accumulation outside our office, but we are in central London so the argument is that it wouldn't have time to stick. We have been instructed to leave by 4 at the latest though, because the snow is scary. I laugh in the face of danger! HA HA. However, I'll take a free early dismissal whenever I get a chance!
In continuing with the theme of laughing at the Brits and the way they handle snow, bbc.co.uk has a hysterical article right now called "Tips for Cold Mornings". Most people in this country have heaters that are on timers, so you have the heat kick on from like 5-8 in the morning, and then from like 5-12 or 1 in the evening. And, as I mentioned, apartments and houses don't keep the warmth because they are so old. If they had the machine that measured how much heat escapes through the windows like they do in that window commercial at home, people would be very sad. Anyway, here are some of my highlights from the article. You can see the full one here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A60766518
How to stay warm:
Body Heat:
*If you don't tend to put on any socks in the morning, carry them in your pocket. By the time you come to wear them they'll have lost their chill.
*Sleep in the smallest bedroom - it'll heat up more quickly. If you share a room with pets they'll heat it too. Some Researchers even go as far as to share their bed with their pets!
Clothing:
*Slip on your dressing gown as you slip out of bed. When the time comes for you to dress, do so, but keep the gown on until the last possible second for extra warmth.
*Fingerless gloves at work or at home are especially good if you're sat in front of a computer or not moving around too much. Thermals or vests (this means wifebeaters) are good for keeping your core body temperature high.
Bedding:
*Don't be afraid to add more duvets or blankets. Yes, they feel heavier, but yes, you will be warmer. You can also throw them off when you warm up in the morning - especially if your central heating kicks in. Make sure you have the heaviest item close to you and the lighter items on top, or the heavier one will crush the air out of the lighter ones, making them less insulating.
Wait...so if I put more blankets on, I'll be warmer? THANK YOU BBC!!
In the Bathroom:
*Brush your teeth with warm water.
*Either have the hottest shower possible to warm up both you and the bathroom, or end the shower with cool or cold water to bring your skin back to the temperature of the rest of the house - it'll be less of a shock when you get out.
I'm a typically very cold person, and I don't see how this will be good for anyone
Food and Drink:
This is my fav..so British. If you ever feel like your drinking is becoming a problem, move here. You will feel like a saint.
*If you think you can get away with it, you could always try a touch - no more than a teaspoon - of something alcoholic in your morning beverage for that inner warmness. Be careful though, alcohol only gives the impression of being warmer, rather than actually solving the problem.
Other Tips:
*Put some extra water in your kettle for your morning brew. By the time you come to leave, it'll be perfect for defrosting your car windows. Of course, we're talking about warm water here — don't put boiling water on your car windows or they might crack. The alternative way of keeping the windows frost-free, of course, is to actually keep your car in your garage, but that also means you have to keep it tidy.
Again with the windshields?!
*If you use the Wii console, you can replace the infra-red strip on your TV with two candles set the same distance apart. Ordinarily the infra-red strip gives off radiation so that the Wii remotes have something against which to calculate their movement. The candles simply provide a different source of radiation. Simple!
I have no idea what this is saying
*Keep a blanket handy for wrapping up while watching television, working at the computer or other sedentary activities.
Duh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Now I understand why there are instructions on Shampoo bottles!
Do they offer tips for asking Ebeneezer Scrooge for more coal?
Wow, that is hilarious. By the way.. I think I would vomit if I tried brushing my teeth with warm water. EW!! Hope you and the silly Brits can stay warm in the blizzard ;)
Okay, so let me get this right...they can't so much figure out how to warm their homes over there...so they suggest you wear fingerless gloves IN YOUR HOUSE?!?!?!
Geez...
Maybe you should move back to the old apartment. Atleast it was warm :)
Im so confused on the wii thing as well
love your blog! :)
that snuggie is looking more and more like the best gift ever.
btw my security code is: fruck
mike that is hysterical
liz obvi it was the best gift ever! its the first thing i put on when i get home!!
This is a hoot. I'm married to a Brit so I'm familiar with a lot of what you say here, or at least with the British mentality. The whole drinking thing is spot on...we Americans are tee-totalers by comparison!
Post a Comment