The week that followed was one of the longest ever!! I took the red eye back to London...oh yeah...so it's basically a gathousand degrees on the east coast right now. So I get on the plane in Newark, get settled in the Premium Economy (perfect for flying overnight because you get a little more room), and am ready to pass OUT. I was soo tired. My flight was supposed to leave at 9:30. So we get our little champagne glasses as we're all getting settled, they lock the cabin doors and get ready to pull out. Except while they are preparing to do this, some jackass on the ground crew gets his jersey stuck in the AC vent system, so they had to turn off the AC on the plane while they fixed it. 30 minutes later it's sufficiently boiling in the cabin. They come around with water and cold towel. Thirty minutes later, the captain comes out and opens the emergency exit doors and says "don't go near them...it's a pretty big fall". Finally at 11:30 we take off. So now we are all sweating. Then they CRANK the air, so we are all freezing. At this point my body is totally confused and no longer in the chilled out mode to relax and sleep. They bring around dinner around midnight, 12:30. I slept for about 45 minutes.
Since we were 2 hours late taking off, the parking spot we were meant to have at Heathrow was taken, so we circled for another 30 minutes before landing. I called my boss, told him the situation, and he graciously said I could work from home. So I got home around noon, worked til 5, and then slept from 7 pm to 7 am. niiicce.
Tuesday-Friday DRAGGED. Friday night Liz came down (she had to leave the dorms in Bath and stay with me for a week and a half). The next we headed to Ascot. It was actually (besides being incredibly cold) very fun! Liz and I got big hats, I only bet on American horses (and obviously won because Americans are winners) and then we headed out in Camden afterwards. Camden is where all the kids who are too cool for school go out. They have torn jeans and tattoos and don't like conventional things because they like to be different. Que me, Liz and Verity rocking up in our summer dresses and giant hats. You can imagine how well we fit in. But we had to go for various birthday parties so we did it.
Sunday was a day of rest for Liz and I, and then Monday began the whole cycle of work, etc again. Here are some pictures from Ascot:
A view from the grandstands. Those boards are the different people you can place bets with. Beyond that is grass, and then beyond that is the race track. It was so big you couldn't even see the start!
Liz and I on the train ride from Ascot back to central London
Me in camden. We went to a bar/club that was legit, a barn. We walked in and then started looking in the different stalls for V's friend's party. I said, umm...are we in a barn? V said...well yes it used to be. I said, we just paid £10 to get in a barn? I don't understand (this is why I can't stand Camden..'oh we're soo cool we party in a barn!' I have partied in an actual barn...well a cabin. Joe Devo's cabin in Skaneateles. It was cool when I was 18. Not so much at 26....but I digress). So then I thought it would be funny to play with the horse tie things. It was :)

1 comment:
You look absolutely beautiful in your fancy dress and hat! I knew you were a horse girl after all :)
P.S. Those Camden people don't know crap. Where they wearing their Uggs out? Probably not. Sheesh.
Post a Comment