Friday, 6 February 2009

Little James is actually about 6'3" or 6'4"

My first week of work here I asked what was the emergency number to call in case we have a snow day.  Everyone laughed at me and said, that will never happen!  The tube and buses always run, and the most snow we will ever get is like 2 inches (except they said it in centimeters).  This week London got hit with the worst snow storm in 18 years.  It snowed 8 inches on Sunday night, and continued all day Monday.  Monday I woke up to an email from my boss saying, "We're still on for work, but if you need to work from home that's fine."  So I got up showered, got dressed and saw another email from my boss saying he was in fact crazy to think we could get into the office, everyone work from home.  All buses were cancelled, every tube line was experience disruptions except for one.  I laughed to myself and considered it a minor victory that I was right about needing an emergency phone number (because I love being right - I know, totally a shocker right?) and then I translated "work from home" to mean, check your email a few times a day.  Done!  

I turned on the tv and laughed to see the new casters saying "If you're a teacher and your school is closing, please call us and let us know.  Kids- do not try calling and saying you're the principal and school is cancelled!  We have ways of finding out if you are lying."  I'm not kidding.  I was dying.  So after laughing at the tv for an hour I headed out to the grocery store and picked up some things I needed, and on the way out of my building laughed (a little bit envious) of all the kids heading out to build snowmen.  I continued laughing when I saw adults pour out of my building with video cameras filming the snow and each other throwing snow balls in the air. Then I saw the most awesome thing ever.  A "man" (in quotes because of his lack of manhood after doing what he did) battling the snow storm with an umbrella.  The true picture of masculinity of British men.  I knew I had to take a picture of this because not a week earlier a few of my friends were talking about men using umbrellas in snow.  Yeah, I know, random.  

Anyway, the snow has melted and everything is returning to normal (kind of).  Its still snowy and icy, but the brits have seemed to adapt.  

Tonight I'm off to hang out with my Norwegian cousin who is in town for the week, which should be fun.  Sunday I'm having a traditional Sunday roast at the pub, which is a very British thing to do.  AND joy of joys...not only are Mike and Liz coming in a few weeks, but Susan and Trisha booked their flights to come in May!  Yay!  I can't wait!  

2 comments:

JamTam said...

He's going to be so happy you clarified that!

MCC-SR said...

Being right about the emergency number is indeed a minor victory. However, a major victory is when others know that you are right.