Thursday, 7 May 2009

Marbella, Spain aka London Jr

First and foremost, I have finally uploaded pictures to facebook.  No, not the ones from this past weekend, but at least the ones that are from my move to London and two trips from visitors.

Next - SPAIN.  Over this past bank holiday, C, S and I decided to head to S's parents villa (not condo like I imagined...legit VILLA) in Marbella, Spain.  For those of you who are about as cultured as I am, its not MarbeLLa, its Marbeyya.  Study your good old espanol there.  We leave on Friday morning at the crack of dawn, and by crack, I do mean before dawn actually happened.  I was up and out the door of my house by 5:05 am.  A time I don't like seeing unless I've been up all night or I'm about to take the SATs.  In either case I am not a pretty sight.  Anyway, it ended up being a good thing in the end because we got on the flight, ordered a bottle of champagne, and then another halfy, and we ended up being pool side and feeling good by 2 pm.  It was sunny and in the high seventies, low eighties the whole weekend.  Amazing.  We did make it to the grocery store that day, but mostly spent all our time in the sun.  At around 9 pm we realized it was probably time to get a move on to head to the bar.  It was still sunny at that point but we knew it was time to get shaking.  So we shower, head down the bar at the end of the road and only last til about midnight since we had been up so long.  When I didn't see one Spanish person the entire night (or the whole weekend for that matter, besides the waiters), I was starting to realize what this place was all about.  

Day 2 - Spent the entire day pool side again which was amazing.  At about 8 we showered and decided to head to Puerto Banus, the marina, where there are a ton of restaurants and the going out scene.  After dinner we head to the bar area.  We walked place places called "London Pub" (skockingly we decided not to go in there).  We ended up at a place called Litikers or something.  On the inside it looked like a stag do and hen do mated and then threw up.  

side note - stag do = bachelor party, hen do = bachelorette party.  They don't do them like at home.  They get dressed up - play boy bunnies, sparkly jumpsuits (that's for the boys), crazy hats and wigs, you name it. 

So we get in there and end up finding a place to dance.  We meet a bunch of really fun guys who were there on a stag do party.  The stag was wearing a scuba suit with a fake air pack on the back that said "muff diver" on it.  Classy.  But they were actually a lot of fun.  We danced with them all night and had a blast.  They were all Irish but lived in London.  We rapped to Vanilla Ice, got lifted up when Jump Around came on, and I of course taught them how to fist pump to Bon Jovi.  Around 4:30 am the club closes so we all get kicked to the curb.  We start walking to were we can get a cab and get in line next to a group of guys.  We both go for the same cab, but they (instead of giving it to the ladies) suggest we just share the cab.  S says no thanks, and I say yeah, we'll just another one.  One of the guys looks at me and said, why?  you're American aren't you?  What, so you think we're terrorists because we're brown?  I said, um what? And he goes off again.  I said in what I thought was a sarcastic tone "Yeah, you're right, I think you're a big fat terrorist!" and his ingenious rebuttal was "oh yeah? we'll you're fat!".  S starts to get really mad about this but in her angry rage she trips off the curb.  I start laughing and bend over to help her up.  The guys thought this was a perfect time to point out how drunk we were.  "of course we're drunk!!" I reply, "its 5 am!!"  One of them comes over and apologizes but we just hopped in a cab and headed home laughing.

Sunday we hit the pool again and just chilled out at the local bar that night with a bunch of Irish lads we met, and then Monday was more pool action, a little clean up of the villa, and then hopped on the plane home.  Overall it was JUST what I needed in a weekend.  And I didn't even get sunburned!

I'm very excited because two weeks from today two of my FAVORITE DC people are coming to town!!  I can't wait!!

4 comments:

MCC-SR said...

So we're adding Spain to the growing list of countries where there are people who provoked you to "get all up in their grill". That'll learn 'em.

DSS said...

you are the only person I know who can go to Spain and get into an argument with a terrorist. and really...we're pretty sure he was a terrorist, right? why else would he be so paranoid?

AND...i'm really glad you are investigating all of these lovely places so that when i come back YOU can give ME some tour books:)

Kristina said...

i hate that terrorist. How rude!

JamTam said...

I am pretty sure the bar you went to instead of "London Pub" was Linekers. As in, owned by the brother of Gary Lineker. As in - YOU WENT TO ENGERLAND. I thought C had been before. I also feel kind of amazed that I know this many people who have been there.

http://www.linekersgroup.com/stag_hen.php