My friend Am is from Barnsley. For those of you who don't know, Barnsley is a working class town in South Yorkshire, which is actually up north. Am has met my parents, V's parents, and her brother was having a bday party so thought it would be a good time for me to meet her parents, and get me outside the M25 again.
I took the train up there which was painless, and Am picked me up at the train station. She drove me all around her town, showed me her parents old shop, her old house, and then we finally arrived at her house. Immediately when you walked in it smelled amazing. Like good comfort food. I've met her brothers before and they are always really warm and welcoming, so I expected nothing less from her family. They were all amazing. She took me over to the garage where they had a refrigerator (like the ones in 7-11) filled to the brim with booze. Beer, white wine, cider, rose...everything. Then there was liquor on the table. I said, sarcastically, "Do you think you've got enough booze?" Am replied, "Yeah...I don't know...I hope so...well people will bring stuff too so that's ok." And she was serious. And right.
The party was a huge success. In the course of ten hours I think I had 4 complete meals. It was like being at my great Aunt's house..."You need to eat more...here take some more...let me just put a little more on your plate". And I loved every minute of it. By the time 3 am rolled around we were all in the kitchen drinking the last few bottles of beer just hanging out and having random conversations (as you do at 3 am). By this point I had mostly mastered the accent, although I'm sure I still sounded like a total weirdo to all of them!
Sadly on Sunday I had to head back home...but I am definitely up for a trip back!
Tuesday, 26 July 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment