Thursday, 22 April 2010
Meg is like my Indian call center
I don't know why I didn't think of doing this before. Tons of companies do it every day. They realize they either can't handle the work load, or they are just not that's great at it, so they outsource the task. It's simple isn't it?
Well, I've taken a page out of the fortune 1000 books. I'm outsourcing part of my life: my love life. Ok not all of it, but just the part that I'm not good at. I told you I signed up for an internet dating site with V. Both of us were feeling awful about it because we just weren't getting it right. I know where my weakness is. I'm one of the most awkward people ever. Not always...pretty much just with boys. I just seem to get myself into awkward situations, conversations, etc. The whole first step of sending a message to the person you think might possibly sound mildly interesting after reading 1000 words about them. You have to be witty, but not too witty, mildly flirty, interesting, and act interested in what they have written. All in just a couple hundred words, because, let's face it, no one wants to read a novel. Now, if this was me trying to sell someTHING, yeah I can do that. Selling me, though, not so easy.
I have two friend back home though, who are experts at this. Jess and Meg. Meg is recently engaged, and has always been great at first impressions with guys. Jess...well there are no words for her. She is able to walk up to a bar, start chatting with a rando, make him become so infatuated with her that he buys us all drinks all night, and then is able to dismiss him without any (or very little) fuss or resistance. I don't know how she does it.
I told Meg that I was doing this site and she said tell me when you're up, I want to go in and play around. So I emailed her my log in and password and told her to go crazy. I said "If you get the urge, feel free to send a few message."
"WHAT?? Really? Can I?"
"Um, please...there is nothing you could do to hurt my cause. The subject line of my last message was 'This is popping my message cherry'. I was trying to be funny. I think I failed. I don't know how to do this. Seriously Meg...have a ball."
"Oh my god Kat, you really need help. Ok I'm on it."
So Meg went crazy. She sent messages, and I could log in to look at them. Literally, 15 minutes later, I get a message from the site saying I had a response. I emailed Meg and said, log back on, I have a response. She then loops Jess into the process. One of them drafts and email, the other one proofs it, and then they send it. Another email comes back. So on the third message I decide it's time for me to take the reigns because he was asking pretty detailed questions. This is when I'm ok now. We are in conversation, there is a flow, I can do this. We are having drinks next week. We'll see how that goes. Unless he buys me £38 worth of drinks though, I need to get a few more dates out of this to break even, so Meg is on the case next week again.
Other than that all is well because planes are flying again and Ryan Air is saying they are back on schedule. Which means come next Thursday I'll be on my way to SPAIN!! I seriously can't wait. It's supposed to be 68 degrees this weekend, so I'm going to a bbq to get my base burn in to prepare for the Spanish sun. Bring on the summer!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I saw this movie in 1987 - Roxanne, starring Steve Martin. You are the female version of Cyrano de Bergerac!
I'm kindove hurt that you didn't ask me to take the regins :(
Oh yea. That's right. I met my guy at a party. Didn't meet anyone on MDC. Haha!
Can't wait to hear how the date goes!!
Kat - How could YOU possibly have trouble getting a date??? What's wrong with those men over there?
Aunt Marg :)
hahahaahah!!!! Popping my message cherry??!! I just about died laughing in my chair.
oh - and how much does Meg charge an hour? I may need her soon... :)
Post a Comment